Monday, December 3, 2007

My Big Boy


I can't believe how fast Cameron is growing up! He is looking less like a baby and more like a little boy, talking like crazy, and last week he moved from the crib to his big boy bed and is doing great!! I have to say I was very worried about the transition. He is such a good sleeper and to be honest, I wasn't ready to give up any more of my sleep yet (the pregnancy steals enough!). But, I decided it would be easier to do it now than to wait till after the baby came. So I read everything about the subject that I could get my hands on, and so far it has been great. It has taken some teaching time, but he has gotten better and better each day and has continued to sleep through the night! For you moms who like me, way over stress stuff like this, here is the advice that I used. We started preparing for the move on Tuesday and then he slept in the bed for the first time on Thursday. I waited until Thursday night because Adam's last test for the week was on Thursday. If it didn't go well, I didn't want lack of sleep to affect his tests. Anyway, here it is...
  • Grandma and Grandpa bought him sheets with cars, trucks, and airplanes on them. He was so excited and on Tuesday I had him help me wash them and put them on the bed.
  • On Tuesday we moved our bedtime routine to the big bed, but put him to sleep in the crib. We continued doing our nap/bedtime routine in the big bed (prayers, reading, and singing a song) but putting him to sleep in the crib for a few days. I'm not sure I would do this again. He was so excited to sleep in the bed, he was sad to go to sleep in the crib. I would have just let him sleep in the bed that first night, except Adam had two big tests Wednesday and Thursday.
  • After the routine we also put his favorite stuffed animal, his USU monkey, to sleep in the big bed. We tucked him in and said goodnight, etc. It was sad because each time we'd go to put him in the crib he'd say, "Go night-night monkey" wanting to stay in the bed. Like I said, next time I would plan on him sleeping there the first night.
  • On Thursday, when he slept there the first time, he spent about 30 min. wandering around the room, knocking on the door and calling for us. We just went in every 5-10 minutes, put him back in bed and rubbed his back for a min. I had to do this for longer before his naps for a few days (the first day for more than an hour!!). But, for the past few nights/naps, we haven't had to go back in at all.
  • Oh, I also took all the toys and books out of his room, so there is nothing in there to play with, except he still sleeps with the monkey. I also put the blanket from his crib on the bed - it is cuddly fabric and he has always slept on top of it.
Okay, so there is the advice. Overall it has been easier than I expected and actually pretty funny at times. One day right after I put him down for his nap I heard knocking on the door and him yelling, "Good Morning Mommy!" Nice try buddy! :) Also, last night he went down very well. We heard him talking in there for a little bit, but didn't think much of it. When we went in to check on him before we went to bed he was in the bed, although not quite the right direction, totally zonked, and stripped down to his diaper! His pj's were clear across the room! :) We just had to laugh!
Anyway, enough mommy talk! I know some of you other moms out there will get to do this before too much longer and I hope the advice helps! Also, here are a few pictures of Cameron's room as decorated so far. It is not my favorite room (the white walls are just too boring for me), but he seems to like it.

4 comments:

Brooke Jackson said...

Tiff, I am so glad you posted this. We are talking about moving Cooper into a big boy bed. He is a great sleeper and I don't want to ruin that. I guess it is time to bite the bullet and make the transition. Are there certain books you recommend reading before we do this?!?

The Hamilton's said...

Tiffany- I love reading your blogs. I love the advise and what you have done in certain situations. When the time comes I know who to go to for good advice! Cameron IS a great child..he gets it from his Parents..(referencing when I babysat him and he told me to put him to bed, LOL(it was so weird to have him tell us to put him to bed))

Anonymous said...

Tiff, Thanks for all the advice. One day we are going to have to get to that stage and I'll definitely look to your pointers. I'm glad it went so well for you, but seriously, could we expect anything different from such great parents and kid??? :)

Jana said...

Yay for big beds! Congrats on the easy transition! Addie was doing so well in her crib, but ever since coming back from our week long trip during Thanksgiving, it's been a struggle. Grrrr...

I'm glad that he did so well!